Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Listen



I telling myself I am going to post more. The problem is, when I think of things to post I then have to think of ways to cover the topic without offending somebody. I am not one to not speak my mind. But I also believe that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. So I don't say anything at all. I bite my tongue. This has been a difficult year for me in some ways (not others) and I am a little bitter these days. I am afraid everything I want to say is going to sound grumpy, bitter, and just plain rude. 

This is MY blog and I should be able to say what is on my mind. But I know there are some people out there that actually read this. We don't have to agree on everything. But we live in a society where, if I don't agree with you, I am wrong. I hate how everything has to be so politically correct all the time. Why shouldn't we speak our minds? You don't like it? Leave. Or listen and be respectful. Or maybe, just maybe, admit that someone else might have a good point. You don't have to change your position, religion, or political affiliation. Just listen. 

I recently had a conversation with someone about why I only have one child. It was a good conversation. After the conversation was over, someone else said to me, "Don't you think you offended them by stating that you only have one child so you can give her your full attention? They have three kids so you are telling them they can't give each child full attention because they have more than one." I don't care how many kids you have, as long as you love them and care for them. But I have my reasons for only having one. And if you are going to ask my why I only have one, I am going to tell you. I don't mean to offend you. I don't mean to assume that one is the right number for every family. But shouldn't I be able to say why one is right for me without offending someone else? It's not as if I approached the conversation saying, "You have three??? Are you crazy? What are you thinking?" This is just an example, of course. There are many more. I apparently offended someone recently for stating that I do not like to watch football. 

I am not always the best listener myself. I am working on this. Listening is much more difficult than speaking. But, hear me, people...I just might have something important to say. Or at least something to say. 




No comments:

Post a Comment