Monday, October 8, 2012

Political Rambling

Because of the recent debate and the upcoming presidential election, I want to say something. I am not usually one to keep my opinions to myself, but I also don't want to offend anyone. I honestly don't see the big deal with discussing politics. Shouldn't we all be able to voice our opinions?

I have always claimed to not belong to a political party. But over the past few years I have become more aware of what both parties believe. I have noticed something that has convinced me that I am more Republican than anything else. Most people I meet that claim to be Democrat also claim that they are more tolerant of different lifestyle choices. And yet those are the same people that can't be tolerant of anyone that does not accept what they believe to be true. When having political discussions with Democrats they are much more likely to turn topics into issues of race, religion, or sexual preference. (I think part of the problem is that social media allows people to be mean to each other without having to see the reaction of the person they are speaking to.) According to most of my Republican friends I did not vote for Obama because I didn't expect him to do a good job. According to many of my Democratic friends I did not vote for him because I am racist. I am not assuming that every Democrat is a liberal or that every liberal is Democrat. But I have noticed that the people that claim to be the most liberal are the most intolerant of other people's beliefs. Someone actually posted on facebook the other day that Romney wants to get rid of PBS because he is a Mormon and Mormon's don't watch television. What??? I have known many Mormons and they have all watched TV. I know people that aren't Mormon that don't watch TV. Isn't a Democrat not voting for Romney because he is Mormon just as bad as a Republican not voting for Obama because he is black? Try to explain that to a Democrat and they just won't see it that way. So, this is why I am now claiming Republican. They are more accepting of others and more willing to listen and be respectful. At least in my experience. Now, I have plenty of friends that are Democrats that I can have political discussions with. They are the people I will be friends with no matter what.

I consider myself a good judge of character. I don't like Obama. I don't trust him. He says one thing in front of one crowd and then says something different in front of another crowd. I am not saying Romney is perfect. Nobody is! But every time something negative comes out about Obama, I think, that is it! This will convince people that he is not who or what he claims to be. But, they still defend him. And I just don't get it. He seems so artificial. People seem to have issues with Romney having money. I don't get that either. Isn't that what we all strive for, to have enough money to live comfortably? What I really don't understand is why, if Obama has money too, is he not evil for being wealthy but Romney is? Obama goes on vacations constantly. At inappropriate times. There is so much wasteful spending by the Obama family and that doesn't seem to bother people. But Romney having money seems to really irritate people. I'm not sure why. Obama says he wants to stop the coal industry (while he claims to be increasing jobs) because it's not good for the environment. Yet he and Michelle often take two different airplanes to locations and meet there.

About the 47 percent...It's a mystery to me why Romney saying anything about this make it a negative issue. His only mistake was saying it quietly. If you watch the whole video, not just the clip the media released, his point is that many Americans are relying on government money. But there won't be any money if the government keeps spending the way it is spending. Then the 47 percent won't be taken care of. So, if we can reduce the 47 percent, there won't be so many people to take care of. Seems logical to me. Seems like most of the people in the 47 percent would want to get out of it. I don't have an issue with taking care of those people that really can't take care of themselves. But, we all know that many, many people that receive assistance don't really need it. Don't we want a country of resourceful, hard working people? If we are okay with the 47 percent, we are okay with this country not improving. And, to have so many people need assistance in this country, doesn't that say a lot about how our educational system is working? It's failing to create people that want to work hard to help better the country as a whole.

I wanted to say this because I am worried about this country. I am worried about the loss of freedoms that we have endured in the name of safety and security. I am concerned about the lack of respect for other peoples opinions and thoughts. I am worried about the type of country Ady is growing up in. I don't intend to turn this blog into a place to share my political opinions but I am saddened by the division in this country and I fear that it is only going to get worse.

I do like getting your emails and hearing your thoughts. I know some of you agree with me and some do not. That's okay. Why do we have to agree on everything? Some healthy discussions and debates are good for us. Hearing other points of view can force us to question our own and help us continue to grow.






No comments:

Post a Comment